People often ask me what to eat in LA so I figured I’d make a list of all my faves. I’ve added each place’s Yelp page — I will note that a lot of these don’t have that great of ratings on Yelp lol but I am passionate about them and would take my friends there (and they would enjoy them too loll) 🙂 so take that however you wish.
- First of all, of course you must eat IN-N-OUT b/c it is a STAPLE of LA life
- Noshi Sushi on Hobart and Beverly, note it’s cash only and closed on Mondays – get spicy scallop sushi, spicy tuna roll (but don’t expect it to be like any spicy tuna roll you’ve had before cuz it’s very different! but delicious!), and stuff off their specials :]
- Thai Original BBQ (fave location is the one in Glendale) – so I think they have the typical popular thai dishes here (i.e. pad thai, pad see ew), but I’ve never tried those cuz this place is most delicious for its Thai style BBQ! I always get S8 (sate beef plate) 😀
- El Taurino (Mexican fast food) – tortas and tostadas with RED SAUCE (fiery spicy like halal guys red sauce haha)
- Mario’s (Peruvian) – lomo saltado + GREEN sauce 🙂
- Lazy Daisy Beverly Hills (healthy) – I love getting the turkey avocado wrap and asking for their chipotle sauce with it. They also have an AMAZING BREAKFAST BURRITO, and their burgers are also really good!
- School Food (Korean school lunch-like snack-ish food) – fave items include the kimbap with squid ink in it, carbonara ddukbokgi and gil guh ri ddukbokgi (this latter one is mad spicy!!!). free unlimited refills of odeng soup broth 🙂
- Cafe Korobokgur on 8th and Hobart, get “Mega Ddukbokgi”
- Curry House (Japanese curry and katsus), multiple locations – corn potage, chicken katsu, omelette rice, and they also have surprisingly good pastas!
- Sushi Gen in Little Tokyo – amazing lunch special, super fresh tasting fish (was $15 last I tried but maybe has gone up since inflation)
- Daikokuya (Japanese ramen) in both Little Tokyo and Sawtelle (West LA) – combos are really good (i.e. tuna bowl, fried rice, gyu don)
- Furaibo (Japanese comfort food) on Sawtelle
- Din Tai Fung (soup dumplings) in Arcadia, also Glendale (& prob bunch of locations by now)
- Panda Inn (Chinese) – original restaurant in Glendale before they made Panda Express! If you know me you know I love Panda Express so… ya. Panda Inn is pretty diff though, nothing similar on menu. but delicious! I liked the Pasadena location b/c the Glendale one is temp closed until Feb 2018
- Raffi’s (Armenian) in Glendale
- Zankou Chicken (Armenian fast food) – several locations, I used to always go to the one by my high school in Glendale 🙂
- Wako Donkasu in Koreatown (2 locations)
- Mapo Galbi (Korean chicken ribs) – dak galbi!
- Boiling Crab – several locations including Koreatown and Alhambra
- Kang Hodong Baekjung (Korean BBQ) on 6th and Kenmore in Chapman Plaza, Koreatown, get the Pork Combo! (new locations in the OC and such too)
- M Grill (Brazilian BBQ) on Wilshire and Western in Koreatown
and I am sad to learn that my fave pho place, which was in Alhambra, closed.. but you basically have to have a bowl of pho in LA. You can go anywhere for the most part.
Non-restaurants but other faves:
- Porto’s Bakery (original bakery in Glendale, but other locations) – cheese rolls, potato balls, tres leches cake, yassss
- Blockheads Shavery on Sawtelle – Taiwanese shaved ice :), can free valet park (just tip) in the parking lot to the left of the establishment
- Sul & Beans – Korean shaved ice
- and my friend is opening a soft serve ice cream place in Ktown in May so I’ll update this to add that b/c it’s gonna be booomb 🙂 here’s a preview
Thanks for reading! Let me know if you have any questions or comments! 🙂